Mother's Day has never been one of my favorite holidays.
The beginning of this post is going to sound a bit down
but I write it to remind myself and to share with you how
gracious my God has been to me.
My Mom could never be there for me because she suffered
with depression. As a child I remember many fights between
us. As a teenager I became the caregiver for the family.
The relationship between my two sisters and me is a
strong bond. I watched over them (and still do) with a
cautious "mothers eye". I am twelve years older than my
baby sister so I seriously raised her. They are now grown with
families of their own...to be honest I felt that "empty nest" syndrome.
The other reason Mother's Day is hard for me is the fact that I don't have
any kiddos of my own. Last year the kids had a morning
program for the Mom's. One of the kid's parents was sitting across from
me and after the program the little 3yr old girl came running up and throws
her arms around her mom saying, "I love you Mommy".
My throat hurt so bad holding back the tears.
For the last two weeks I've been thinking about the promise He gave to
Sarah- the promise of a son. Also, Hannah has been on my heart- her
persistent prayers for a child of her own too. There are so many things I
could say here concerning these two Ladies of Faith but I'll just say the
thing that's echoing in my heart right now...persistent prayer and trusting Him.
It's only been in the last couple of years that I've allowed myself to bring
a secret dream, that's been tucked away in the back of my heart, to the
forefront of light. I would like to share with you the dream that I'm making
this year be the persistent prayer of my heart...I have always wanted to
adopt a child and IF it be God's will for my life and a precious life of another
I desire to ask.
God has already blessed me beyond measure in so many ways....
At the age of 19 I started teaching a Preschool Sunday School class
and He has taken me from there to Youth Ministry and many years
of working in childcare. He blessed me with caring for my family
and now He has made me the luckiest Aunt of all times!!!
I take my job as Aunt very seriously...there is not a day that I do not spoil
them rotten. Below is a picture of us at the park a couple weeks ago.
of their lives. I can't wait to see what God has in store for their future!
much healing in our lives over the past. It's been a long hard road
but it's amazing what forgivness can do in your life.
I know there are others of you out there with
some of the same emotions of hurt and worry...
I pray that God blesses each of you with a very Special Day!
I plan to spend the day resting in the peace...and the joy
that He is in control and His timing for my life is perfect.


8 comments:
Awwwww...girl that was awesome. Sweet and tender.
Some of us are blessed with perfect parents....or maybe I should say-All that we could ever hope for parents....and some of us are grown up by our heavenly parent.
I had some huge gaps that God had to fill....because of my dad and you because of your mom. I had a major role in caring for my younger brother and sister.......probably not in the same way you did...but God gave us mothering hearts.
He put those hearts in us....to take care of another's needs. We will be blessed for taking care of the ones HE loves.
Have you thought about starting with foster children? Just a thought. My older brother has three kids of their own and they are not being foster parents for two little boys.
I loved this post. We can both be Sarah right now. BUT.......I don't want ANYMORE physical children! I'll take the spiritual ones though. ;)
Hey and that is a great picture of you.
I am glad your Mom is getting better.
Love ya girl
Ummm that should have been they are NOW being foster parents...
Thanks for sharing your heart.. I grew up pretty much on my own.. I had to learn about the love of a Father God from just learning to trust Him as I had not the example that I needed .... I am glad that through the years of your Mothers depression you had the bond with your sisters...and you are blessed to still have that... The Father has obviously given you the heart of a mother and I must say that He could also be placing the desire to adopt in your heart......... It is a matter of much pray and fasting I might add....... Heaven knows that there are many many children out there that need the tender touch of a Christian Mother.....
What a precious thing to share on this Mother's Day weekend..... I will pray with you about this and I will be so interested to see what the Father speaks to your heart........ It is an exciting time in your life........
I too love the picture of you and the kids!!!!!
I thought it better for me to use anonymous for this...... but it is me........ ahhahaha
love ya
wow melaniejoy...we have so much more in common than i realized! my heart aches for you from this post. i am proud of your honesty. i'm confident of God's blessings in your life as you obey Him. And i hope for that peaceful day on Sunday. I just sure hope someone comes up and gives you a hug!!! wish i could. hang in there!
Hello... I hoped over from another blog, and I am glad that I did. Thanks for being so honest and real.
Although you say that you don't have any children... sounds like you have been blessed with many spiritual children. And from the love that I read in your voice, they are blessed through you.
Lynn
What a precious heart you have. What a precous gift you are. To be honest I am not very fond of Mother's Day. I almost did a post about it but thought it would be too much of a downer. You did a good job of being honest and making it uplifting. I guess I don't like the focus on my job and the pressure to show their appreciation for me on this ONE day. I would rather have helpful hands and feet and little words of thanks and praise all year through. I, too, struggle at times to find those wonderful feelings of appreciation for my mom because of some childhood issues. I have two unmarried sisters-in-law that are a HUGE blessing to me. You will never know how much that means to your nieces and nephews and their mother. God bless you!
Melanie Joy:
I am excited for your dream! I don't say that lightly or without pause...I say that with a deep sense of tenderness for the road you have walked. Melanie, I know you are new to my blog, but in April, I traveled to SC where I preached a revival message on Genesis 18 (Sarah and Abraham's longing). Following that time, I did a few mini-postings on my blog about "The Promise of Eden." I don't tell you this in order to get another reader for my blog. I tell you this because I believe that the posts contain a message of hope for all believers...
that God is about bringing his "new" into our old. I think you might glean some strength for the journey ahead as you read. You can find the series under my April posts, entitled "The Promise of Eden (part....)" etc.
Thank you for your heart...for your raw vulnerability to share your hopes and dreams with me, a complete stranger. Yes, I am excited for your dream. God would have me to be so...
peace~elaine
Melanie...
I found your blog via another. I have said this more than once... I love how God connects women via blogland!
I remember all too well the bittersweet feelings of Mother's Day - some for the same reasons as yours, some very different.
I will be praying for you as you pray for God's direction in adopting a child. I too am an Aunt and not a mother. I learned to ask and I learned to trust the answers!
Sister - I have walked in your path... and I want you to know... God will answer your prayer and you will rejoice in whatever that answer is!
God Bless this journey - I look forward to hearing more about it as you trust Him!
God Bless
Post a Comment