Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ouch...This one hurt

"Take no thought for your life." Matthew 6:25



"Take no thought for your life." "Be careful about one thing only," says our Lord - "your relationship to Me." Common sense shouts loud and says - "That is absurd, I must consider how I am going to live, I must consider what I am going to eat and drink." Jesus says you must not. Beware of allowing the thought that this statement is made by One Who does not understand our particular circumstances. Jesus Christ knows our circumstances better than we do, and He says we must not think about these things so as to make them the one concern of our life. Whenever there is competition, be sure that you put your relationship to God first.
"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." How much evil has begun to threaten you to-day? What kind of mean little imps have been looking in and saying - Now what are you going to do next month - this summer? "Be anxious for nothing," Jesus says. Look again and think. Keep your mind on the "much more" of your heavenly Father. -Oswald Chambers

5 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thinking today about one thing...

today. That's it. That's all I've been given. Still and yet, I make plans to the contrary. We cannot help but not make some plans. It's necessary. But when I close my eyes tonight, I will be thankful for the gift of another day and pray for the provision of the next.

One day at a time.

peace to you~elaine

luvmy4sons said...

Mmmmm...as we draw closer to the Lord He gives us the balance of prudence to prepare for the future and work as unto Him in perfect balance without worry and fretting and not being lazy either...to work as unto Him and focus on Him...Gotta love Oswald Chambers!

Sharon Brumfield said...

Yes, I like the new back ground too.

And I read this one the other day. This still gets to me. I would love to sit at Jesus feet and let Him teach me this eye to eye.

All I can get from this is that I am not to be obsessed with tomorrow...trying to figure it all out. If I am figuring it out then I will probably not be walking according to His plan. And yet I also know that there were people working for God that did not know where their next meal was going to come from....and still walked in faith. The world would probably tell them that maybe they missed the mark with the ministry and needed to get a job.
This has been a major question in my mind. Because I wonder sometimes if He has asked us to walk this path.
And is it a path for all Christians?

Denise said...

I think the older we get the less we do that.....I seem to be more content now than ever...... I try not to struggle with tomorrow.... it seems that my today s are all I can handle...... I find that peace will sweep over me when least expected..... HE is near.........

Growin' With It said...

you know, my heart responds to this as "well yea...that's it!" and my head is still grappling with it. such a great post melanie! thanks!