
On the mountain top with Jesus...what a wonderful place to be!
It would be nice to stay there forever...wouldn't it?! My thoughts
are here today after reading O. Chambers. Here's what he had to
say...
"We have all had times on the mount, when we have seen things from God's standpoint and have wanted to stay there; but God will never allow us to stay there. The test of our spiritual life is the power to descend; if we have power to rise only, something is wrong. It is a great thing to be on the mount with God, but a man only gets there in order that afterwards he may get down among the devil-possessed and lift them up. We are not built for the mountains and the dawns and aesthetic affinities, those are for moments of inspiration, that is all. We are built for the valley, for the ordinary stuff we are in, and that is where we have to prove our mettle. Spiritual selfishness always wants repeated moments on the mount. We feel we could talk like angels and live like angels, if only we could stay on the mount. The times of exaltation are exceptional, they have their meaning in our life with God, but we must beware lest our spiritual selfishness wants to make them the only time.
We are apt to think that everything that happens is to be turned into useful teaching, it is to be turned into something better than teaching, viz., into character. The mount is not meant to teach us anything, it is meant to make us something. There is a great snare in asking - What is the use of it? In spiritual matters we can never calculate on that line. The moments on the mountain tops are rare moments, and they are meant for something in God's purpose."
I thought about the scripture in Matthew 17 where Peter, James
and John had the amazing chance to be on top of the mountain
when Jesus transfigured before them with Moses and Elijah.
Remember Peter's words..."Lord, it is good for us to be here...".
Oh, yeah Peter it's good to be there and I'd love to stay and
enjoy a longer stay with Him. He and I have work to do down
in the valley. When we discover the rough or the ordinary
time have a purpose it makes it so much easier to put one
foot in front of the other.
I love what Mr. Chamber says about the mountain
top moments are meant to make us something. God please
mold me and make me what You have me be.
14 comments:
Oh those mountain top moments. I have discovered that often they come AFTER a dark valley where I learned first hand of God's faithfulness. I too have wished to stay there, but I know I cannot. Someday though...when He makes all things new. Hugs to you.
I love the mountain top! BUT there are lessons to be learned while there....... We must return to the valley and lessons learned while sitting at HIS feet on the mountain top will carry us through the darkness.........
Wonder how you are......... think of you often...
Blessings girl!
Yes I enjoyed Mr Chambers this morning too. I love those mountain times but it is after those times when He takes me down into the valley to work it all out that I am not sure I want to go back up too soon. But to whom much is given...much will be expected. If you leave the mountain top with a closed fist...unwilling to give...it will be that much longer I think before you have another mountain top experience.
Hands out...palms up!
I have a PRAISE REPORT !!!!!!!!! GOD IS GOOD AND GREATLY TO BE PRAISED...
I've been experiencing a bit of the climb. It's always tempting to stay, but those mountain top times are just preparing me for the moment I must head back to the valley.
xoxoxo
ps...sorry for all the delete's...my laptop hickup'd and left a ton of comments. ;)
once again the words God puts on your heart are truly applicable for a day like today. i heart you melanie joy!!!
I just stopped by to say hello and let you know I finally updated my links page. I hope it's ok that I linked to you.
Have a beautiful weekend!
Holly
Post a Comment