Saturday, September 6, 2008

Where's your focus?

God's timing was in play for my reading of My Utmost for His Highest today.
I'll share the reading and then explain a little of why....

September 6th.
DIFFUSIVENESS OF LIFE
"Rivers of living water." John 7:38
A river touches places of which its source knows nothing, and Jesus says if we have received of His fulness, however small the visible measure of our lives, out of us will flow the rivers that will bless to the uttermost parts of the earth. We have nothing to do with the outflow - "This is the work of God that ye believe. . . ." God rarely allows a soul to see how great a blessing he is.
A river is victoriously persistent, it overcomes all barriers. For a while it goes steadily on its course, then it comes to an obstacle and for a while it is baulked, but it soon makes a pathway round the obstacle. Or a river will drop out of sight for miles, and presently emerge again broader and grander than ever. You can see God using some lives, but into your life an obstacle has come and you do not seem to be of any use. Keep paying attention to the Source, and God will either take you round the obstacle or remove it. The river of the Spirit of God overcomes all obstacles. Never get your eyes on the obstacle or on the difficulty. The obstacle is a matter of indifference to the river which will flow steadily through you if you remember to keep right at the Source. Never allow anything to come between yourself and Jesus Christ, no emotion, or experience; nothing must keep you from the one great sovereign Source.
Think of the healing and far-flung rivers nursing themselves in our souls! God has been opening up marvellous truths to our minds, and every point He has opened up is an indication of the wider power of the river He will flow through us. If you believe in Jesus, you will find that God has nourished in you mighty torrents of blessing for others.

I have this "obstacle" at work. We will just say I've seen this obstacle coming
up from down stream for quite a while now. Friday it quickly approached.
I'm so glad I woke up this morning and read this. That in the midst of my
restless sleep last night He prepared these words for me as I woke. That He
would remind me to keep my focus on Him and not the obstacle. I began
to think about a Geology class we (Psych majors) had to take. How we
learned of things like rivers and how when the flow and current became
strong it would cut a course over time and form a new bend in the river.
As the rivers of our life flows along hopefully on a peaceful beautiful
landscaped scene...and then the river banks get narrow and up ahead
a large boulder laying right in the middle of the banks. And you may
think this is it...this is the end...how in the world....what in the world.
God is reminding us today to keep our eyes on Him and not the
boulder.
I know that God has placed me in this place in the river/work
"for such a time as this". As I've finally reached this dreaded
boulder...I pray and ask God Almighty not to just find a way around
it but that for the "boulder's" sake He will overflow His Water
to soak a sun dried piece of broken rock.
Girls, I have to walk in Monday...and I need God to speak through
me more than for me...the extra prayers would sure help!

Keep the focus on Him and not the obstacle!!






7 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

I remember this.
You are right you are facing some huge boulders right now.
I am glad He does not just reach down and remove the boulders in our lives.
If He uses you to touch this obstacle...it will be for that obstacles benefit.
I am glad that He did not make life so easy....if He had..... we would have lost the great beauty of Grand Canyon.
There will be great beauty on the other side of this.

luvmy4sons said...

Good stuff. I needed it too. Thanks for being faithful. I pray God help you around or remove your obstacle. His timing is perfect. I know He is with you. I have come to this deep udnerstanding of just how truly precious Jesus is...and how all else pales by comparison.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Great thoughts my friend! Staying focused is tough to do!! I KNOW. =)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've found Oswald's words to be particularly poignant and helpful this week for so many reasons. I really like the river analogy! It's good to know that the river keeps moving despite the obstacles in our lives.

peace~elaine

Fran said...

Well, God just used you to bless my little heart tonight. I just thank you!! Its not about the obstacles....just keep my eyes on Him.

Much love!
Fran

Joyce said...

Hey MelanieJoy,
Thanks so much for checking in on us. It's been a bit crazy but getting a tad better. Just getting power back on is amazing. HA!

God is good though and I have to say we went/came through this much better than many. So we are thankful!

I will write more later....today I have a million things to do and I want to take myself and Miss Priss and get us to the Food Bank at our church to help out. They got 4 trucks of relief supplies in yesterday and need help sorting and packing things into boxes for needy people.
I am ALL about that kind of stuff.
So I need to get a shower and get out of here.....
Thanks again for your prayers on behalf of everyone down this way!!
Be blessed,
Joyce

Denise said...

Oh I can look back and see the mountains in my way and I was in awe when they stood in my path..... Looking backwards I wonder why I was so fearful.... He has gone before me....... I love the river example.... Nothing stops the flow! Nothing will stop the flow of God in your life and it is cutting a path through the rough and rocky road!

Love the post