
I so thought about posting a similar picture on Thursday because I was
thinking about the Blogging Girl meet up in San Antonio with Siesta Beth
Moore. If I had gone I would have missed out on a wonderful night with
another group of Sisters. We had our last Ladies Summer Group last
night. It was too much fun. I have so enjoyed helping our Pastor's wife
plan these events. She is a precious sister in faith and God is nudging a
wonderful friendship as well. It's a very exciting time in our church
because some ministries that have been dried up for pushing
twenty years now are breathing a new life. Also, some ministries that
never existed are being born. Some of you know the story of me coming
back to my home church at the end of last year. It was a very hard
decision to go back because my heart was so in love with the church
I was attending.
Now, I have to stop here for a moment and back up to last week. I was on
vacation last week and did a bit more reading than I normally do. I came
across a site with Charles Spurgeon sermons. I just randomly looked
through some and clicked on some that caught my eye. Then I ran across
one that I couldn't let go of. The title is "The Waterpots of Cana".
I've wanted to post on it since the night I read it but couldn't get my
thoughts around it enough. Until tonight....
I was thinking about the Ladies fellowship from last night and all the
ministry ideas that have been swirling around us. I've also had other
things on my mind such as the future and a sign that He had given
me a few years back. As I began to think about all these and then
looked back again over Spurgeon's surmon I realized that his points
lined up with the thoughts that I've been carrying around inside this
head of mine. I would like to share over the next week the highlights
of the sermon and then tag my thoughts of the past, present and
future. I'm NO teacher but just want to get my thoughts in view
instead of letting them swim around in my head....I hope by
putting them in view it will cause them to stir in my heart as well.
The Waterpots of Cana
"Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they
filled them up to the brim." John 2:7
Of course this is from Jesus' first miracle of turning water into
wine. Spurgeon comments on these things:
- the miracle was simple. That one might expect Him to start
off His miraculous career with greater things.
- He didn't announce to the crowd what He was about to do.
He did it quietly among the servants.
He did not make a fuss or a parade.
- He used water which they had in abundance.
- He didn't call for strangers to do it, but the ordinary servants
shall bring ordinary water.
Tonight when I was thinking of the ministries I mentioned
earlier...my thoughts went to these points. We must be
careful in our excitement to be sure we are seeking His
vision and not our own. That we are allowing this to be
His ministry served out by our hearts and hands. That it
doesn't have to be the next big flash thing that every
church is trying. That simple is just as powerful when
given to Him and for Him.
That we need in no way to make a fuss over who did
what....and even who didn't do what. That we give all
the ideas and success to Him. All the praise and glory
and outreach is His alone.
That as we desire to venture out...and I have to stop
here and say that this is a church that has been stuck
in the past and that doesn't not take to change AT ALL...
That we remember that He does take the ordinary
person (who loves Him and seeks to follow Him) and
the ordinary day in day out things and turn them
into something extraordinary.
4 comments:
Created for Him, by Him, through Him, and for Him. All we do should bring glory and honor to Him, not US. I tell my children I clean toilets to the glory of God. Every act of kindness that ministers to someone else and doesn't uplift self glorifies God. Amen sister. Amen!
"We must be
careful in our excitement to be sure we are seeking His
vision and not our own"
THIS is soooo true. And we have to also be careful to not expect everyone to want to jump in with us with what God calls and leads us to do!!
Loved this!!
I see you got a little meat out of that sermon. Great thoughts. Don't you just love when you hear something and you just know there are some great gems to be found if you meditate on the word a little while?
I love things that spark my imagination and heart.
Our last church was like yours. Probably worse.
God can and will continue to do amazing things in your church...as long as the eyes are centered on Him.
I think one of the downfall of ours was that our love continued to grow for each other more than Him. He would not stand for it.
If the Spirit is in it there will be no stopping His work.
I pray ya'll continue to see His hand amongst you.
The pure in heart will see God. Mat 5:8
"That simple is just as powerful when given to Him and for Him." i loved this! amen sista, in many, many ways!
Post a Comment