
The Maya Angelou quote from my last post is still weighing
heavy on my heart. Here's the quote again, "A women's
heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have
to seek Him first to find her.". Well, man or no man I long
to say..."I have hidden your word in my heart..." Ps 119:11.
For the first time in a long time my mind and my heart are
in line on this. Either my mind is being lazy or my heart
is not into it but in this moment they are in agreement so I
have to follow.
When I decided to return to college I prayed and asked God
to give me a career driven by passion. Let me tell you He
did just that. I want to tell you about a little girl named
Hannah that God introduced me to.....this is an email I sent
Hannah that God introduced me to.....this is an email I sent
to a friend....
In the happenings of this week something profound and
life changing occurred in my life and I had to share with you.
I taught a 21 month old nonverbal little girl how to
communicate with the world through sign language. It was
a consistent effort on a lot of people's part but I have put in
the most hours. I'm not trying to boast except in the Lord...
because He gave me the ability. I can't believe I'm fixing to
say this but I have found what I was created for.... wow that's
hard to say without crying. That little girl will never know
me but I've helped totally change her world. That is the most
incredible feeling in the world. The moment she moved those
little fingers into the correct way to tell me what she wanted...
she changed both our lives forever.
I love this part of my job- we call it manding. Here is the short
version of the steps to manding. Find things/activities that
motivate them these things become your mands. Next create
the sings/mands for the items. Normally teaching goes as this:
For a verbal child they start off with Echoic behavior meaning
they are repeating your words but are not able to spontaneously
say them.
For a nonverbal child they learn the signs but until they learn
them most of them scroll. Scrolling is like a guessing game-
trying to figure out what sign goes with what item.
So then we must move to doing transfer trials which is you sign
or say and the child repeats then you delay giving item until
child says or signs again.
Now, I want to go back to Echoic- at this stage we usually start
celebrating because they are getting it and this is the first step
for them. However, until the child realizes and makes a
connection that the word/sign has a meaning/power to it
then it's never going to be useful.
I've been thinking a lot about that this in terms of the Christian
walk. Beginning stages Echoic- hearing some things, memorize
some scriptures but until the Word becomes spontaneous/
understood there's no meaning or purpose behind it.
A second thing that's important for manding training is they
need good visual perception. So they can focus/see what you
are doing with your hands. This is where I am Spiritually.
God is trying right now to say or show me something and I
need to focus in on Him... I need to hear His voice. Sooooo
I've decided to fast. I feel that what I need to fast is the
computer....so I'll be gone for a couple of weeks. (There is
only one thing that I'll be checking in on and that's how a
fellow blog sister comes out on some test results.)
I'll end for now with Col. 3:1-4 from the Message....
"So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life
with Christ, act like it. Persue the things over which Christ
presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed
with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert
to what is going on around Christ- that's where the action
is. See things from His perspective."
Love you all......
4 comments:
Great post. Well written and thought out. Great teaching example of our walk with God.
Go get Him girl!
See you when YOU get back.
Loved the picture!
Are you kidding me!!! Is it Monroe? When I lived in Monticello AR, my friends and I would go to Monroe all the time...sweet. I love AR & LA. Wish I could visit for more than a week without getting sick...don't do humidity well.
I quoted an article by Joyce Huggett on meditation for one of my school papers I wrote today...think you might like it:
"We meditate to give God’s words the opportunity to penetrate, not just our minds, but our emotions – the places where we hurt – and our will – the place where we make choices and decisions. We meditate to encounter the living Word, Jesus himself. We meditate so that every part of our being, our thoughts and our affections and our ambitions, are turned to face and honour and glorify him."
Hope your fast goes well...paitently awaiting your return.
God bless.
~Kate
God bless you for being obedient to our Father. Listen and focus on Him and know that I will be praying for you and waiting for your return!
In His Love,
Stacey
Great word from the Lord and I will be anxious to hear what the Lord has to say while you are fasting and in prayer...... I am so convinced now that what I have been believing for the past 15 years will come by prayer and fasting... I am in awe at the goodness of God that allows us confirmation of His leading... I am so glad that I did not read your post until I posted about fasting . I will go into my fast with great faith. He is ever working on our behalf and He is speaking loud to the body.......... I pray that we open our ears and we hear................. ... be blessed my friend.... See you in a few weeks...............
Post a Comment