Tuesday, January 8, 2008

There are those dates that roll around when you remember exactly where

you were and what you were doing. Where were you when the Challenger

space shuttle exploded, the Gulf War and 9-1-1? When an ordinary day

takes a unexpected turn- it can quickly become a day to

remember. What about the day you gave your heart to Him? It was on

July 24, 1988 when I gave my heart to Him. We had just finished a revival

that left my head and heart spinning.

Every year about two weeks before Christmas I automatically start

thinking of the date January 10th. As the date is here again I'd like to

ask you to sit and reflect with me on the importance this date brought in

my life....





It will be seventeen years today. I left work upset and it was a rough

season in my life at the time. I am a huge Daddy's Girl and needless to

say was a big tomboy. I loved spending time fishing and hunting with

my Dad. There was something about sitting in my deerstand that just

allowed me a peaceful quiet place to see and feel God's presence all

around. I cherished those times. This particular night I decided to go by

myself because my Dad wasn't home from work. I just needed to "rebel"

so I went alone. Right before it got dark I started to come down from the

tree. Hum.... flashlight wouldn't work and the string to lower bow down

was gone....red flag. I thought my foot was planted firmly on the first

step but it wasn't. From a sixteen and a half foot stand I fell straight

backwards to the ground. In the instant....the instant I realized I was

falling I prayed the shortest and most real prayer I've ever prayed.

"God if you let me live when I hit the ground I'll do ANYTHING you

ask..." The moment that prayer was said the panic of death left. They

say that your life pass before your eyes...well, for me it wasn't the past

that went through my mind. It was thoughts of things that needed to be

done in His name and for Him. Thoughts of certian kids in the youth

group came. Ones that I knew didn't "know" Him. The days

ahead while healing physically God spent them preparing me for His

work. It was two years later when I stepped into the Youth Ministry.

It was on that night with a broke nose, arm, cheekbone and a fractured

pelvis that I gave my LIFE to Him. My life has not been the same since.

I can remember every detail of that night. However, the main thing is it

reminds me of the commitment I made to Him. I thought I was going

to lose my life to death that night- instead I lost my life to His Will.

4 comments:

HeyJules said...

Wowie! Fantastic!

BTW - my "date" is March 9th.

:-)

Sharon Brumfield said...

I can't believe that my subscribe list let me miss this. It is still showing that you have not posted since the 1st.
Sorry.
This is a pretty amazing story. Are you going to fill in some more details? Like how long you were there and who found you?
What an amazing experience for you. What a blessed memory for God to give you.
I don't remember the dates but I remember the events like they were yesterday.
Salvation and when I truly gave Him my heart.
I have used those events to stress how we need a relationship not just a ticket to heaven.
Your story must give you great testimony to share with people.
It is amazing that when the change really takes place you know it.

Denise said...

September 10 1977.... at the age of 30 ..... Broken and undone life.... Divorce and abuse ... No where to go and nothing good insight... He found me in the middle of that mess....... and He changed my life......... I have never been the same........

Kate said...

Great story.

My second birthday is Nov 6, 1985. I too remember it all, and still have a tender place in my heart for my friend, Jean Clayton, who was the truest living example of Christ I had ever known. Story is too long to tell, but I wanted what she had, and eventually I found Him.