Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Simple Box by Nature?

A simple box by nature.
It arrived some where around a week ago.
Just above the address was a note reading...
"do not open until Christmas Day!".
Is she kidding me wait a whole week!!
See "she" is a kindred spirit sent to me as a gift from
Someone above. So knowing her I already knew I
would love what was in that simple brown box. I
couldn't wait to open it!! And open it I did tonight and
my anticipation was correct...for great treasures it did
contain.
This past Sunday night our church held it's Candle Light
Service. The sanctuary was dimmed and the white
Christmas lights were a glow. As I slipped into a pew
just ahead of a new sweet friend. The church began to
fill with the sweet sounds of Christmas Hymns. The
sweet friends baby began to coo and laugh...oh, the kind
that would make any heart melt. Then the voices around
began to sing "Away in a Manger". My melted heart began
to ache that same ache that Mother's Day brings for me.
The line in the song..."the cattle are lowing the baby awakes
but little Lord Jesus no crying he makes" with the cooing of
the baby behind me made it all come to life. For the
first time I got the most real and visual picture of my Savior
as an infant nestled in a manger. The smooth soft glow of a
infants cheek.
Then one of the young teen boys began to read The Christmas
Story. My aching heart began to ease, as words from the past
once again became present in my heart. The infant in the
manger began to fill a place in my heart that no other infant at
the moment could fill. A place of loneliness and sadness. It
was filled with Joy and Peace.
It's just like that simple brown box I received in the mail.
I knew that box contained something my heart desired.
I know that my God has a simple brown box waiting for me
as well. And it's contents are something my heart desires.
How do I know....for He gives us the desires of our heart.
That's what my heart longs to do tonight-to delight myself
in Him. To allow the distractions of this life drop to the
ground and bow my heart and mind before Him in sheer
reverance.
May His sweet face, his strong arms be felt in your heart
this Christmas...May He unfold more of the dreams He
has for our lives on us all this New Year...
Thank you for walking this journey of life with me.
Merry Christmas to all....and much love from my heart
to yours.

5 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

How awesome was God to bless you with this friend....I am sure you treasure her as much as she treasures you. :)
I love your experience at church...how precious and sweet. Yes, even intimate....I don't often have those deeply intimate moments with Him but when they come they are to be treasured.
I love you girl...you hold a very special place in my heart.
When the time is right.......
;)
You are a fabulous gift and I know your new friend feels the same way.
He does give us the desires of our hearts....even when we don't really understand what those dreams are.
:)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

So beautifully written. I felt as if I was in that pew alongside you. Hearing the baby, listening to the songs, remembering that moment so long ago.

I'm glad you know the filling up of our Lord this Christmas. I imagine that a baby's cry is a sometimes difficult pill for you to swallow for so many reasons. I am thankful for our Lord's tenderness to you as you balance your hopes and dreams with his.

He is a good and mighty God that loves us all beyond reasonable bounds. I'll be listening for his love in the next 24. I pray the same for you, friend.

Merriest of Christmases to you, and peace, always peace...

for the journey~elaine

Growin' With It said...

i got a bit teary eyed at our service christmas eve. my heart was full and also aching in some ways and it is interesting how a moment like that can bring you to being so open and humbled before God. you described such a beautiful moment here melanie! loved it!

luvmy4sons said...

Oh sweetie how I love your precious heart...and I know God does as well. I loved how this post read...sweet, tender, true, surrender. Love always in Christ to you. I KNOW He will give you exceedingly, abundantly more than you ask or imagine!

Growin' With It said...

wowzers...great new look!