Saturday, June 7, 2008

"Wh" questions...

"Why is the light of life given to one that is in this misery, that is deprived of
the light of the sun, whose way is thus hid, and whom God hath thus hedged
in?" Job 3:20-23


I don't think I can do this post justice it deserves. However, it's burning a
hole in my heart. I must try.....


As most of you know I work with Special Needs Kids. It's only been two years
but it seems like a lifetime now. Before God blessed me in this "world" of
children- I asked so many times....why? Why does this have to be? Why this
child? Once I was introduced to the need and the knowledge I never thought
once to ask why again. Here's the child. Here's the need. Here's the mission.
And off we go. Until last week.....it's the first week of Summer school and kids
are packed in the time slots for sessions. The first of the year we successfully
potty trained a 12yr old child. This summer we are working on potty training
another. So, here I am sitting with this beautiful 8 yr old girl.
Even in her beauty (that others may not see) the old question finally cripped
back in. I found myself again asking, why God why? Why God did you make
her different? What is the reason? To us it seems unfair and wasteful. So,
I began to pray. This is what I feel He spoke to me....
They have a life- even though it may not seem "normal".
What makes their life different from your life?
I thought back on the Bible lesson we had this week in VBS in John 9.
"His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents,
that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned...
but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."'

God needed a vessel to reveal His Glory. He has done that for me in the eyes and
lives of these children. He has shown me the impossible right before my eyes.
A child learning to talk- be it with his/her hands or voice. Finding the gaps and
teaching them the skills to fill it. I wish you could witness all these things
with me. He is so amazing in their lives. His Big.
I tell the rest of this with tears in my eyes....
A young married couple spreads the news they are going to have a child.
The day comes and the precious little one arrives. In the months ahead
the little one begans to grow. Mom begans to feel something is not right.
A doctor visit turns into weeks of long waiting. The dreaded news comes.
Mary was pledged to a young man and her future planned out before her.
And oneday an angel shows up and gives her news that completely changed
her plans. A new destination. One she/they must open their hearts to.

I had a dad walk up to me the week before Summer school started....
He looked me in the face- he held up one finger and said, "One word
just one word.". His 19 month old son never spoken a word. The little
boy looks and acts so much younger than he is. In that instant it felt
like a huge concrete wall fell on my shoulders. A burden that I can't
carry and a task that takes a miracle. Praise God as He would have
it I don't have to carry it or perform it.....He will. He is the Miracle
Worker!! I'm already seeing it. The little boy has caught on so fast
(just two days) that I'm asking him to do something with his hands.
He is already taking my hand and forming the signs for his wants.

I think it would be okay to give first names...because you my Sisters
are prayer warriors...these kids and their families need prayers.

Amber and Andrew (brother and sister- Amber is the one being
potty trained and Andrew is the 19 month old- yeah that
dad had a lot on his mind that day he caught me in the hall)
Chris
Bry
Jake
Seth
Michael
Taylor (12yr old girl abused by step father)
Parker
Matthew
Coby
Adrian
Beau
Chase
Reid
Seth M.
Ryan

Pray for our staff. We have a young staff that doesn't see
the importance and ergency at hand. I just feel so
overwhelmed and already exhausted. Thank you!

9 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

What a mission field you have. I can't help but think that those who stop and notice the ones sitting by the wayside--and help---they are so much more the hand of God here on earth.
It is so easy to think...well, that is just their lot in life....one day they will be all better in heaven.
But they are not "non life's" here on earth. And you do what you do because of a love that has been placed in your heart by our Father.
I am teaching the story of Esther this week. And you know that Mordecai told Esther that how did she not know that maybe she had been created for such a time as this. And do you know the same thing? What if this summer was why God created you? To give a hope and a future to a father who has no hope. To plant a seed that another will water.
You have been given an awesome ministry. Do it with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength. Do it with His love.
I pray that when you look into the blank eyes they find that they are looking into the eyes of their maker. That when they are touched by your hands they feel the hands of our Father. That His words coming out of your mouth sparks life in their souls. That this summer they will be spending the summer with Him.
May the power of God fill you in a mighty way this summer. When you walk I pray that the darkness has to flee.

Love ya girl

I saw my first cactus...we are getting close. Oh and I say a pair of boots that were about two stories high and about 15 feet long. Pretty impressive.
Talk to ya soon!

Given Grace said...

I love that God gave you such a amazing heart! Thank you so much for bringing us "your kids" names so that we may lift them up to the Lord, praying for them and their families. May your work bring glory to His Name!

luvmy4sons said...

Your are a blessing. Your precious heart after these children is so wonderful. I know God will work through you and with you and in you and in them.

Jesus,

Your ways are perfect. Your do not make mistakes. These children bring their own special gifts and pruposes to the world. Touch them. Help their parents. Give them strength and courage and hope. Surround them. Let them see Your glory that shines in their precious blessings. Praise Your name Jesus and help the workers who work with these children. Inspire them and enable them and bless all...I thank You that You do exceedingly, abundantly more than we ask or imagine. In Your precious name, Jesus. Amen.

Fran said...

Oh Melanie...
I've already emailed you so much but please know that this momma of 3 and mom to many children at church that I'm praying for you girl. I'm praying for us all.

Press in and press on.
Much love,
Fran

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thank you for your tenderness and love for these special children. You are a lifeline for them and for their parents, who undoubtedly must harbor broken dreams as their reality. I'll be thinking about you in all your weary doing. Your planting sacred seeds, my friend, and I know that God has a very special purpose in it all.

peace~elaine

Denise said...

I am finally getting over here to read your posts...... I find myself in the past few weeks thinking and praying about ministry... the passion that God places in our hearts........ We each are given a passion and in that passion lies the heart of God... When we follow that passion we find ourselves slap dab in the middle of our calling and we are at peace...... I think that you have found that passion and you are in the middle of your calling...... there is nothing greater...... Your touch to these children and these parents is in fact the touch of the Father....... Your post is passionate and full of the love of God..... Oh how I love the path that the Father puts us on early in our Christian life and He keeps us on that path knowing that in the end there is the blessings... You are blessed... and you are storing up treasures in heaven......

Love ya!

Growin' with it said...

this was such an incredible and touching post melanie...i would like to share it (without the list of names) with our special needs leaders if you don't mind?

you captured so much more than i have ever realized that our volunteers face. thank you for reminding me of their hearts and efforts!

Kate said...

I'm praying that your caring heart is an example for those around you. Unfortunately some people just see this opportunity as a job, but I pray that he move in those who can make a difference and move out those who do not.

Growin' with it said...

Every Move I Make....oh how I love this song. we used to sing it with our kids in okc! i can still picture them doing the hand motions!!

my hubby read this and agreed we are sharing it in our volunteer newsletter this week. i will try and include some of the comment you suggested.

more than anything melanie, thank you for reminding me to love on these sweet people who do such an incredible ministry.

be blessed girl!