Friday, September 14, 2007

A fellow blogging Siesta and friend posted along the same lines today as I'm going to try and venture. It's one of those times where the same message keeps appearing. God is trying to drive a point across to me and I'm trying so hard to listen. At church our Ladies group this week reached the midway mark in the "Patriarchs". This study has brought me to a place that I'll never stop pursuing His Word. The very first week of study I was captivated by two words-- Your Name. Our culture today seems so consumed in making a name for ourselves. Teenagers are so desperate for this in wanting somewhere to be accepted. To have a certian brand, a certian style, a certian group, be in a certian place to be known as a certian someone. Adults are no better at this.
The very next week after Bible study began I was asked to speak to the Youth at our church. I began to search every concordance and commentary I had on the word- name. For the first time I just stood in awe at the glory of His name. I've known about Him and heard about Him all my life but never been consumed by the majesty of His name. I have never been on my face before like this past month. To give up the name we have desired for ourselves and surrender to instead for our identity in His name. I would like to share a short devotion I read today. It is from a book called "God Calling".

No Other Name
My name is the Power that turns evil aside,
that summons all good to your aid. Spirits
of evil flee at the sound of "Jesus". Spoken
in fear, in weakness, in sorrow, in pain, it is
an appeal I never fail to answer. "Jesus"
Use My Name often. Think of the unending
call of "Mother" made by her children. To
help, to care, to decide, to appeal, "Mother."
Use My Name in that same way- simply,
naturally, forcefully. "Jesus"......

No comments: