I joined a wonderful group of ladies for my first group Bible Study. We are three weeks into the "Patriarches". Even though I knew that Abraham and Sarah had Isaac after their childbearing years...I still didn't realize how long of a wait they had. Abraham's journey was much like our own- with it's twists and turns. The times we take the leap and step out on faith, times we laugh in doubt- others in sheer joy and there are the times we have to...wait. In a devotion I read today the question was asked "How are you at waiting on God?" When I read this I sat straight up on the edge of my seat anxious for what God was fixing to say to me.
I have always related life as to a puzzle. I don't know maybe the outer pieces are our salvation and Christian standards. Then God has all the other pieces set off to the side and in His timing He hands us a piece. We set that piece into place and then.....wait on the next one to be revealed. I know there are things to do in the waiting period- a preparing and training stage.
Surley there must have been those times in Abraham and Sarah's walk when it looked like the waiting period was about to end and the promise be fulfilled. I know God's timing is perfect and never late. However, the waiting season feels never ending in my life. Waiting to be a wife, waiting to be a mother, waiting for His calling in my life to be revealed. So, how am I at waiting...this week not very good!
I read this tonight in my Matthew Henry Commentary:
"No word of God shall fall to the ground; for he is faithful that has promised, and God's faithfulness is the stay and support of his people's faith...God is always punctual to his time; though his promised mercies come not at the time we set, they will certainly come at the time he sets, and that is the best time".
What are your thoughts on the question "How are you at waiting on God?"
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
These were good thoughts.
How am I waiting.....I'm working. I am working out my faith with all my might. I am letting Him use the people and circumstances around me to turn me into the woman of God I need to be.
When I was a little girl--about 4 someone invited me to a birthday party.Mom told me about the call and I got so excited. I was going to get to go some place fun. We bought them play dough and Mom wrapped it up and said when she got back she would take me. I remember sitting out on the stoop waiting. I saw people dropping off children but I did not realize this was the party. Mom said she would take me when she got back so I was going to wait. I waited even when th Mom saw me and told me to come on the party was starting. Needless to say Mom came home and said why didn't you go to the party.I told her I was waiting.
Now why this story in response to your post?
I received a word from God when I was 18 that He was calling me to the ministry. For years I waited, and waited. That is after I decided His way was best. I kept waiting for it to happen and I was not going to move until.
I missed so much along the way. The good times of seeing others moving on. Getting to know people and forming relationships. Learning to be content with my life just as it was. Now I am catching up on what I should have learned back then by jumping in.
Abraham left. He did not know where He was going. Look what God taught him along the way. Look how God changed him along the way.
While I am waiting for God--I'm walking. Getting in shape for "it". Until He shows me what "it" is--my life will be the party and I will not miss it again.
Love ya girl.
And I am sorry that you are having a rough week. It will get better. Just listen. He does speak in the quietness. Words that will fall on your ears words that will be so sweet. The voice of your lover. he is calling. Listen.
Post a Comment